Saturday 21 March 2015

I have been Dodging a bit of work


It has not been a particularly cold winter, but it has been grey and damp and I lost a bit of boat “restoration motivation”.  This was partly because I had so many problems with the Perkins after an “official service”.  New, more competent engineers have made the engine ready for many miles ahead with a full service.
  • ·        The Borg Warner velvet drive system has had the bearings replaced.
  • ·        There is a new shaft gland and stern-tube to replace the old unreliable ceramic cutlass bearing.
  • ·        The tanks have been steam cleaned and inspection hatches laser-cut  out.
  • ·        New wiring to the starter motor and reduction in cable run length and a dedicated starter batter with a 1-2-both switch.
  • ·        New water pump
  • ·        New alternator to replace the dynamo
  • ·        Full service and spare parts audit

Maybe a break has been a good things as now I feel reinvigorated and the pressure is on to get her ready for the season. There are a number of things that really need to be done urgently:

  • ·        The roller reefing genoa jams; I think this will be an up-the-mast job.
  • ·        The chart table needs to be rebuilt in order to let the drawer underneath work.
  • ·        I still have deck leaks!!! Need get this sorted.
  • ·        AIS cable and antenna needs to be run
  • ·        Galley needs to be finished-off
  • ·        Heads rebuild and holding tank fitted
  • ·        New saloon bunk cushions
  • ·        New control panel in the cockpit
  • ·        Rutland serviced to stop bearing noise



I think I will stop now…. You get the idea. I could go on and on and on. At least I started by adding new dodgers to the cockpit. A relatively easy task.

No comments:

Post a Comment